Author Topic: Rights of 'Single' golfers  (Read 3288 times)

Offline GolfShop.com.my

• Cookie Points +0/-0
    • GolfShop.com.my
  • Club: None
Rights of 'Single' golfers
« on: October 19, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
One rule/etiquette issue that quite often causes friction on the course is pertaining to single golfers. A lot of misconception exists about what rights, if any, a single golfers has vs. i.e. a foursome. Imagine the following scenario:

Let's say you play in a foursome on a quiet day. There seems to be nobody for at least a hole or two in front of you. From behind a single comes up. He is obviously faster than your foursome. Do you let him play thru or not?

Before I reveal the correct way of what you SHOULD do I would like to hear some responses of what any of you WOULD do.

Frank

Offline moya

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
Re: Rights of 'Single' golfers
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »
heya frank,,,

well on a quiet day birds chirpin away...
double bogeying every other hole...
comes a single golfer...
the obvious wud be #$@!&*())^&$...
hehehe
but the natural wud let the single thru...
out of pitiness havin no buddies...huhuhu
nah
it wud be the pace of play i reckon,,,

my 2ruups

Offline barryt

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • HOL-Y-1
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:47:23 PM »
Hi Frank,

Interesting topic and a sure 'eye opener' for me and some of us (I guess) with regards to your question.

I must first admit that I'm in no level to advise the 'correct thing to do' here but merely to see how I fair in this knowledge of golf etiquette. A non-full flight (4 balls) has no standing order, likewise, there is nothing for him to protest or complaint. But viewing your situation on a normal game of golf, I would certainly let him thru if being ask for.

Thanks for sharing!

barryt
Hol-y-1

Offline GolfShop.com.my

• Cookie Points +0/-0
    • GolfShop.com.my
  • Club: None
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:49:17 AM »
Thanks Moya and barryt for your contribution. I was hoping for a response as the one from barryt as this represents the vast majority of golfer's opinions regarding singles. In fact, the USGA rules used to state: "A single player has no standing and should give way to a match of any kind." However, this has changed...

The above rule has been removed from the 2004 edition rules handbook and was replaced by wording that basically said that speed of play - regardless of how many golfers are in any particular group - determines whether a group should be allowed to play through. But the question was, is a 'single' a group? While the 2004 rules book implied that a single is considered a group it was not explicitly stated.

In the 2008 revision of the USGA and R&A rules this has been made crystal clear: a single is a group and has the same rights as any other group. Here is what the etiquette section of the USGA says:

"It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. " (emphasis by me)

and

"Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player." (again emphasis by me)

In short, since 2008 a single player has the same rights as any other group, play thru rights are now determined by pace of play only. If the group in front of the single is slower he has the right to play thru.

Interesting, isn't it?

I've seen quite a few arguments on the course between singles trying to play a quick round and some stubborn foursomes who didn't know the new rule and refused to let the single thru. Next time you're in a similar situation you know...

Frank

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
  • ITS NOT HOW YOU DRIVE, ITS HOW YOU ARRIVE!!!
    • KakiGolf
  • Club: Kelab KakiGolf
  • Handicap: 17
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »

Interesting, isn't it?

I've seen quite a few arguments on the course between singles trying to play a quick round and some stubborn foursomes who didn't know the new rule and refused to let the single thru. Next time you're in a similar situation you know...

Frank

Yes Frank ... This is indeed very interesting! Thank you for the clarification.

I was in a similar situation a while back. We were playing in Monterez and we were a two ball flight but the flight playing in front of us was a foursome .... And they were playing dead slow, especially at the putting greens.

Judging from their pace of play on the fairways, I reckoned they were not high handicappers but somehow or rather .. on the greens, they were dead slow. I can only assumed "high stakes" were somehow influencing the pace they were playing.

We did however requested them to allow us to pass through ... but they blatantly refused. Like the majority of golfers, we thought we did not have any standing and the fact that they were also club members but my friend and I, were both not ...  We accepted the fact that we had to continue to play behind them. The pace was painstakingly slow. Might as well put a "Stop" sign on the greens every time these 4 air-heads putted.

But now we all know better right? ... Thank you Frank!!!  ;) This is indeed enlightening!  ;D

Offline pakudin

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: KGNS, Rahman Putra
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »
Thanks frank

glad to know you have a reference to our golf rule/etiquette issues.  More importantly, the questions you brought up are the common situations which most of us encounters but don't have the slightest ideas on the right ruling.

Keep it up, really enjoy your posting.

Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 pecent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation.
    ~ Grantland Rice

Offline mrfeelgood

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Founder
  • Cookie Points +1/-0
  • ITS NOT HOW YOU DRIVE, ITS HOW YOU ARRIVE!!!
    • KakiGolf
  • Club: Kelab KakiGolf
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »

.... the USGA rules used to state: "A single player has no standing and should give way to a match of any kind." However, this has changed...

.... In the 2008 revision of the USGA and R&A rules this has been made crystal clear: a single is a group and has the same rights as any other group. Here is what the etiquette section of the USGA says:

"It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. " (emphasis by me)

and

"Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term 'group' includes a single player."

Hello again Frank!!!

I was with my brother-in-law last night talking about golf and this "issue" cropped up and we ended up more confused!!!  ;D

Anyway!!! Just wanna get some confirmation as to whether this is a "Must-Follow" ruling OR simply a "Good to Follow" golf etiquette?

From "Simply-Clueless" MrFeelGood!!!  ;D

Offline Budakboy

• Golf Golf Golf and .....
  • Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • www.MalaysianGolfer.org
  • Club: KGSS
  • Handicap: 18
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
Thanks Frank, good info... O0