Author Topic: Malaysia’s Teenager Gavin Steals The Show!  (Read 684 times)

Offline KAKIGOLF

• ADMINISTRATOR
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
    • kakiGOLF.com
  • Handicap: 3
Malaysia’s Teenager Gavin Steals The Show!
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:27:23 AM »

19 year-old Malaysian amateur champion Gavin Kyle Green played a blemish-free final round which included three birdies for a six-under 210 total to become the best placed Malaysian at joint-22nd at the 2013 Maybank Malaysian Open on Sunday.

It was an amazing feat considering that S. Siva Chandran was the last Malaysian amateur to even make the cut in the Open 10 years ago.

Gavin, who is studying at the University of New Mexico, only wanted to make the cut but did better than that.

"It is a good week for me. I only expected to make the cut but looking back, I wish we had played four rounds. That would have been better for me," said Gavin.

"But this result is still good. I really liked the course and the galleries were good. I'm proud with myself. I didn't expect so many people and I really want to thank them for coming out to support me as that was a pretty different experience for me. It was nice.

"I'm also enjoying the media coverage and the support but I only have one day before leaving for the United States again, so I'm going to spend some time with my friends and family now."

When asked if he has any advice for other amateur golfers, he said: "Keep practising and study hard. I will stay in school and finish my degree. I still have two years in college and then we will see what happens."

Gavin Green proved that he is indeed the Malaysian star to watch out for.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:29:06 AM by KAKIGOLF »