Author Topic: How to make your shot consistent?  (Read 16459 times)

Offline IrwanMonterez

• ***GOLF PRO***
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
    • www.aga.com.my
  • Club: KGNS, Kelab Rahman Putra
  • Handicap: 0 (Golf Pro)
How to make your shot consistent?
« on: February 27, 2009, 01:51:23 PM »
My fellow friends,

Yesterday there is a guy asking me about how to be consistent in his shot making.
Theres a few thing i would like to share.

i) Know and understand your swing.

ii) then practise the same swing all the time.Problem with most golfers,they like to listen to other people while they already hitting well.

For those who just started the game,get someone who have more experience and good teaching skills to guide u.These little tips might help u to minimize your bad habits and enjoy better golf.

Enjoy your practise!!
see ya..

Offline garychipster7

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Handicap: 10
Re: How to make your shot consistent?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »

.... Problem with most golfers,they like to listen to other people while they already hitting well.

For those who just started the game,get someone who have more experience and good teaching skills to guide u....

Hello Irwan!

Thanks for the tips, simple advice but very true.

I left golfing for quite sometime after getting frustrated about not improving and going nowhere with my game. I started golfing again sometime last year and this time around, I got myself enrolled for golfing lessons. It really helps when you get the right kind of advice. I swing better now and a bit more consistent, starting to enjoy the game, and have better course management (for my own level of play)......

So, my advice is...... take Irwan's advice  ;D and get a professional help if you seriously want to enjoy golf. I noticed most golfers, even for those seasoned golfers, shy away from taking lessons but instead like to rely on friends, books, self-rectification etc, or some times only ask for quick advice from the pros at the driving range (free advice mah!) ... I was like that before, and believe me! doesn't work that way, and hey!!! even Tiger Woods still take lessons.

And another type of "golfers" who I simply can't stand are those friends or even people you don't even know offering advice even when you're not asking for their help... These people only make your golfing swing go worse, and they're usually not the qualified pros!!!  :-X

Just my 2 sen!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 02:44:50 PM by garychipster7 »

Offline proV1

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: Kelab Sana-Sini
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 12:55:23 PM »
Yes.. I believe consistency is everything in golf. If you take a look at Annika Sorenstam. She has the same swing every time and only changes clubs for difference distances.  ;) 
Driver - Callaway Big Bertha 460
3-wood - Callaway Big Bertha
Irons & Wedges - Cleveland
Putter - Taylor Made Spider heel
Ball - Titleist Pro V 1

Offline IrwanMonterez

• ***GOLF PRO***
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
    • www.aga.com.my
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
yes i agree,like Annika shes a one planner swing i like...very simple swing..shes one of my favourite

Offline netmontr

• Cookie Points +0/-0
    • St. Bernard Software
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »
And another type of "golfers" who I simply can't stand are those friends or even people you don't even know offering advice even when you're not asking for their help... These people only make your golfing swing go worse, and they're usually not the qualified pros!!!  :-X

Yeah, it does seem like the people who have the least experience or expertise are the ones who tend to give out advice without being asked first. I notice this a lot especially with people who are much older than me. I think it's good practice to filter out all of that and only focus on your swing, the way you've been practicing and refining it. If you try to make too many changes each time you get new input, you might take some bad advice, or change it so much that forget what your original strengths were.

Offline obieone

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: Kinrara GC
  • Handicap: 16
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:59:40 PM »

Yeah, it does seem like the people who have the least experience or expertise are the ones who tend to give out advice without being asked first. I notice this a lot especially with people who are much older than me. I think it's good practice to filter out all of that and only focus on your swing, the way you've been practicing and refining it. If you try to make too many changes each time you get new input, you might take some bad advice, or change it so much that forget what your original strengths were.

That's always the case isn't it? I'm thinking of printing a T-Shirt that says ... "MIND YOUR OWN SWING! I'VE GOT MY OWN SWING COACH!" .. what do you think?  ;D

Offline netmontr

• Cookie Points +0/-0
    • St. Bernard Software
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 11:43:29 PM »
That's always the case isn't it? I'm thinking of printing a T-Shirt that says ... "MIND YOUR OWN SWING! I'VE GOT MY OWN SWING COACH!" .. what do you think?  ;D

That's not a bad idea, have one message on the front of the shirt and the other message on the back lol. But, even if you wore that shirt around every day...to be honest...I think there would still be some people who would either miss the message, or see and it ignore it completely (taking it as a joke)!

Offline obieone

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: Kinrara GC
  • Handicap: 16
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »

That's not a bad idea, have one message on the front of the shirt and the other message on the back lol. But, even if you wore that shirt around every day...to be honest...I think there would still be some people who would either miss the message, or see and it ignore it completely (taking it as a joke)!

I'd give them this T-shirt then .... "BEWARE OF DUMB GOLFERS"!  ;)

Offline davidhasselgolf

• Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: None
  • Handicap: 18
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:57:35 AM »
 :D :D :D

Offline althype

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:33 PM »
Question?...

There are days when my weight shift is perfect and I don't feel like my hands are involved in the swing at all. Other days, it's almost all hands and the shots range from shank to duff to fat to thin... cilaka  >:(

Any drills or recommendations to get that weight shift consistent?

Offline ahman

• * Verified Member
    ** PGA Member (PlayGolfAnytime Kaki)
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • Club: Club House...
  • Handicap: 15
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
Question?...

There are days when my weight shift is perfect and I don't feel like my hands are involved in the swing at all. Other days, it's almost all hands and the shots range from shank to duff to fat to thin... cilaka  >:(

Any drills or recommendations to get that weight shift consistent?

do the free swing everytime you are in the shower room...pretend that you are taking a shot...of course with the 'ideal' posture and swing plane etc...
that's what I always do..never fail..till today...

BUT DO NOT DO THIS WHILE YOU ARE WITH YOUR WIFE/SPOUSE......:P >:D :o
WHAT's IN MY BAG:>>
Driver: 10.5 Titleist D2 910 R
Irons 4-P Titleist ZB R
Wedges: Vokey 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Tel 3
Ball: Titleist ProV1x
Misc: SunBlock/1st Aid kit/Tees/Coins/Durex-Featherlite

Offline IrwanMonterez

• ***GOLF PRO***
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
    • www.aga.com.my
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 08:58:14 PM »
hi Althype....

Yes, there are a few drill if u had weight trasfer problem...
What u can do,u can try "the step drill", where u take a one step forward as u take ur downswing..

Offline johndbaptist

• Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
Yes..I had the same problem myself on bad advice especially from golfers who think they know the game. Quote from The legend of Bagger Vance " Golf is a game to be played, not to be won" speaks volume on the challenging aspects of this game.

I guess what sums things up, here is that, everyone is created by god differently, what works for some might not work for others. That's why , if you observe, none of the touring pros have the same swing, and they tend to make the best of what they have, from jim furyk right up to freddie couples.

So, start on the right note, get the swing technique right for oneself, than practise and practise, analyses the mistakes...and finally, pray!

My 2 cents worth.

Regards
John

Offline Mat Dwan

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:11 PM »
My fellow friends,

Yesterday there is a guy asking me about how to be consistent in his shot making.

ii) then practise the same swing all the time.Problem with most golfers,they like to listen to other people while they already hitting well.

For those who just started the game,get someone who have more experience and good teaching skills to guide u.These little tips might help u to minimize your bad habits and enjoy better golf.

Enjoy your practise!!
see ya..

salam bro..dwan ni sgan nk tanye dpn2..so dlm kakigolf kire ok la ye..
klu problem ngan long iron n wood or driver cmne plak tu..iron 6 n below..ok..yg panjang2 ni slalu slice??
sorry klu byk tanye..neway thanks..

Offline pakngah

• Verified Member
  • Cookie Points +0/-0
  • aaahhh...a bad day for golf today
  • Club: KRTU Subang; Royal Kampong Kuantan
  • Handicap: 23
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:07 PM »
My fellow friends,

Enjoy your practise!!
see ya..

salam bro..dwan ni sgan nk tanye dpn2..so dlm kakigolf kire ok la ye..
klu problem ngan long iron n wood or driver cmne plak tu..iron 6 n below..ok..yg panjang2 ni slalu slice??
sorry klu byk tanye..neway thanks..

bro, jgn jadi macam kebanyakan dari kami yg dah jadi buluh ni. berguru tapi tak habih, so kami terlekat dengan all the bad habits. tu yg jadi macam2: hari ni pukoi slice, isuk tarik etc etc 

hang pi belajaq dari guru yg betoi. pi cari pro. eleh, macam ngaji Qur'an jugak lah, kalau belajaq dari yg bukan pro, memang bulih jugak baca tapi adalah idgham yg tak kena, makhraj yg tak sedap, dengung tak bertempat.

bayaq lebih sikit takpa but you will get the correct way of swings etc. Most if not all driving ranges have teaching pros who can impart you with the necessary, proper skills. Monterez pun ada (ehem ehem...promote sikit). jangan segan, pi tanya depa.   
bola tak masuk fairway? hilang? try cari kat sini: http://ceritapakngah.com